A place for me to post random stuff about me (Jason Turner) and my life. A Law library is where I work, and diabetes is what I have. A transplant patient is also how I can now describe myself. But I try not to be defined by any labels anymore.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Clinic #4 (4 weeks)

About this time 4 weeks ago I was lying on my side in the transplant ward, a little cranky at the every-15-minute-finger-poke.

4 glorious weeks later, I am doing great.

Clinic went well today - but was really long! I was there for a little over 3 hours, seeing the nurse, dietician, resident(s), doctor, and researcher. Whew. Good news is that everything is continuing on fine. Dr. Senior - one of the endocrinologists I have not seen yet - is really nice. We went over all my bloodwork, and he said to him everything looked really good. He, and both the residents took a good look at my eyes, as there was a wee bit of concern a couple of weeks ago, but he said they look great. And, to top it off, he told me that I could take a week off from coming to clinic. So that will be nice. That tells me that I am doing well I think.

Talked to Grace, the dietician today, as I was a little concerned about my appetite, and not taking in enough nutrients, and she identified a few little things that I can do to help myself, such as a bed time snack, and trying to up the protein a bit, but other then that she thinks I am on the right track.

Talked to Parastoo, the research coordinator, and they want me to have a biopsy of my liver done. This is completely up to me, and before today I was more in the 'no' camp, but now I am pretty undecided. Apparently the goal is to get a few little samples of my liver - and hopefully one of those samples will have some islets - so they can take a look at them, and see what they are doing. If I remember correctly, the idea is to gather data, so they can compare to other patients if (big if) something goes wrong with the islets. There is really no danger to me, or my islets, and really the whole thing is less invasive then the original transplant. It would be a day at the hospital though, but she told me that Dr. Shapiro has done many many of these in the past. I think that they would want to do this sometime in October/November, but I do have a month to decide.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?